A few days ago, I noticed that I had two empty days in a row on my calendar -- there was nothing scheduled!?! Aha, I thought -- two days of sewing time!! And so I made a plan! There were 3 quilt tops ready for borders plus organizing their backings.
But I was torn -- the weather was so perfect, it was a shame to be inside bent over the sewing machine. No problem, just move the sewing machine out onto the front porch!! And so I spent 45 minutes organizing that, then up to the sewing room to organize the projects.
The border decisions had already been made for two of the projects, so it was a simple matter of calculating and cutting -- quickly done! The third border was going to require more thought, so that piece went up on the work wall for comtemplation as I worked on the other two projects.
The challenge of prepping backings these days is always how to do it with the fabric on-hand? Because I insisted on having these bees scattered consistently around the border, I ended up with 4 not very useful strips of fabric. Their length was fine but together they only contributed about 12" of the 55" I needed for the width and it seemed like a good idea to use them in the backing so they would not be lurking in the stash. I thought using a turquoise fabric with them would look good but when I got to that stack of fabric, there was hardly a piece more than 1/2 yard. So I pulled a dozen or more pieces and started thinking.
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Monday, June 11, 2012
I call this piece Autumn Hillside -- the color scheme was inspired by a long drive along the Ohio River during the fall several years ago. The forests in that area have more oak than this corner of the state, so the fall color is more somber, lots of browns and rusts with sparks of red here and there. This photo does not show the big stitch hand quilting with pearl cotton -- guess I need a few detail photos, too. I enjoy the technique because it tolerates imperfection nicely and over the past three years since I discovered it, this is the 3rd piece I finished doing it. I didn't use up much fabric (just 1/3 yard for the binding), but it's good to finish one!
about 2 1/2 yards of fabric and it's 36" by 48". The border will be the large swirly print in 3 of the hexagon motifs. It's one of the samples for the seminar I'm offering in September that will focus on hexagons, 60 degree diamonds, and equilateral triangles. I stumbled onto the setting on my design wall but now that I've copied it into EQ5 (still haven't upgraded?!?!), I've been playing with other arrangments/expansions of it. This one uses 2" hexagons -- think I'll do another in a smaller scale. Once I mastered "chain piecing" hexagons together, it was hard to stop so the piece almost flew together. A clever student (named Mary) when I was teaching in Watertown, NY last month figured it out and shared it with me. Very cool.
This evening, my guild had their monthly meeting and it was a "sit and sew" session. I spent the time taking the borders off a quilt top -- it just didn't do anything for the quilt and I found a better option on a shopping foray a week ago. I suppose that means I have to subtract it from the tally of fabric used, but perhaps not -- it could become part of the backing!
Tomorrow I have to focus on a couple new teaching samples (tops only) that need to be in a shop for display by the end of June!! More fabric to add to the tally!! And then Thursday, I'm off to the NQA Show in Columbus for the day -- hope I don't succumb to the stimulation too enthusiastically!!
Saturday, June 2, 2012
|6 new valances waiting to be hung!|