Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A goal and another Craftsy pattern

I know you'll find this hard to believe, but last week during the studio clean-up, I found a couple of UFQ's?!?  Actually I found more than a couple, but these two might come in handy very soon.  I hear I have nieces getting engaged and I need to be prepared.  So during September, I'm going to set a goal of finishing up the two sets of placemats I found. 
 
The first was made using Marti Michell's Flying Geese ruler to create these lightening streaks.  If you belong to a Marti and Me club at your local quilt shop, the pattern for these is included in one of the early club patterns -- I have 4 of them pieced and a lovely backing fabric already chosen. 
 For years, I have interlined placemats and table runners with flannel rather than batting -- it gives me a flatter finished product (no tipping wine glasses).  I buy a plain white flannel which I wash and dry two or three times to make sure it is preshrunk completely.
I also found 4 of these ready to assemble.  This set was made with a pack of 5" charm squares, 1/2 yard of border fabric, and Marti Michell's Tessellated Windmill tool.  They are 3" finished blocks and I love that there is NO waste using Marti's tool. 
One of the placemats is even finished -- why did I stop? 
Isn't the backing fabric lovely? 
Since I have no idea where my nieces' tastes fall in the area of decorating, I need a little more flexibility in case neither of these sets work.  During the clean-up, I found a stack of 8 fat quarters that I've been itching to cut up.   And placemats are perfect -- a simple project that doesn't require a huge investment of time.
I'm going to use another pattern which I wrote 12 years ago.  I use it over and over!!  My Fat Quarter Placemat pattern uses a stack of 8 fat quarters to make a set of 8 placemats.  Sometimes I've given away 6 and kept 2 for myself.  Sometimes I've given away two sets of 4.
I often make or purchase a set of napkins that coordinate.  For that bold group of fabrics, I'm going to make solid color napkins -- two each in gold, turq, red, and dark gray -- keep the fun, funky look going! 
 
These backings are very coordinated but sometimes I choose a much larger scale print or a different style to make a truly reversible set. 
One of the sets I made using this pattern several years ago (long since given away) used 8 background prints -- today, we would call them "low-volume".  Once the tops were pieced, I layered them with the flannel interlining and before adding the backing fabric, I added an herb embroidery design to each one (justifying that Bernina embroidery machine I bought!).
 
Yesterday, I uploaded the complete pattern to my Craftsy pattern shop -- it's called Fat Quarter Placemat and you can find it here!  Only $2 and I bet many of you can make a set (or two) without leaving your fabric stash!!  It's been tested by lots of my customers, but as always, if you do try it and have any questions, don't ever hesitate to get in touch with me.  Your feedback and comments help me improve my pattern writing!!
 
 
Mary Huey
 
 
 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. I love the pastel set! Wonderful gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy and thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  2. Your sewing room must be the size of a warehouse what with the wonderful treasures you are discovering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (-: -- a warehouse . . . . well, not quite but it's very full!!

      Delete