Friday, September 5, 2014

A winner and a finished top!

Well, I still haven't found the Gingher shears but they are here somewhere. 
 
I have finished the little quilt top.  Most of you agreed with me about using the piece with some color to it.  And Laura (the 4th quilter to comment) was chosen by my "random" number companion who has no idea why I wanted her to chose a number between 1 and 13.   So when I hear from her, I'll be sending off about a yard of the fabric that I didn't use.
I'm pleased with this top -- it used up some more of my stash and I didn't have to throw away all those little squares!  And one of the early rejects is big enough to be the backing!
Now it has been added to the shelf of small quilts to be finished by my loyal group of "charity" quilt makers this fall.  It will be among at least a dozen small quilts, packed into a tote bag, and shared with a local women's crisis center to use as Christmas gifts for children.
Back in the studio, the cleaning has slowed down a bit -- once I got this table next to the machine cleared off I found myself stitching on a rediscovered project -- just taking a little break.  (-"
Then I worked on cutting up some of the sorting from the previous days and next thing I knew I had started a new project.  (Pretty surprising, huh?)  But it is the first new project I've started in two months. 
And I can justify it!!  I'm vending with my friend, Denise of Mercantile on Main in Coshocton, Ohio next weekend and I'll need stuff to demonstrate the y-seam piecing technique featured on my DVD, Set-In Piecing Simplified.  The yellow squares may change -- seems a bit loud, but on the other hand, I'll be figuring out the assembly strategy so I'm not ready to commit my best fabrics.  We'll see.
 
Denise and I will be at the
 Dalton is right on the edge of Amish country so you could do some of both.  The show hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.   Denise will have fabric from her lovely shop including kits for her original quilt that was part of the Spring/Summer 2014 BHG Quilt Sampler magazine -- the quilt will be there, too.
 
I'll be demonstrating how to chain piece through set-in seams and have all of Marti Michell's templates available plus my DVD.  If you come to the show, be sure to stop by and say "hello"!
 
Have a pieceful weekend!!
 
Mary Huey
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to the winner! It turned out lovely. And what a wonderful thing you do making charity tops. You will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete