Friday, March 20, 2015

TREE BIRD BLOG HOP -- Day 6

Another big THANK YOU to Madame Samm and Lana for organizing and managing this hop.  Yesterday was so much fun to watch how many quilters were visiting my post and leaving comments!!  I'm on a short teaching trip so can't reply to all the gracious comments for a couple days but thank you to everyone!!
 
Here's another piece of my bird card collection.  It's not a card, but rather a poster (20" by 40") that was available to school teachers (copyright 1938) to use in their classrooms.  The bird portraits are the set of cards that was available at the time.
It was packed with useful information about the benefits of birds -- this was the era of convincing people to enjoy and encourage birds instead of hunting them.
 
This chart gives dimensions for bird houses.
 
 
This illustration is about feeding birds during the winter. 
 
 
This strip of plant illustrations down the center include native plants that are food sources for birds.
 
 
Up at the top is a diagram of migration routes and a statement about the value to agriculture of birds.
 
 
The border around the entire poster includes line drawings of harmful insects that birds eat.
 
 
Finally on the back there are lesson ideas for ten topics that a teacher could use in the classroom. 
 
I was so pleased to find this during an auction -- it's in excellent condition -- I love owning something that was used in a classroom somewhere over 70 years ago and so treasured that it was kept all these years!
 
Are you enjoying all the ideas for using birdy prints?  I have so many and I need to use more of them -- I need a totebag and a book cover and some pillowcases . . . .
Here's another batch of blogs to inspire you.
 
 
Enjoy your weekend and I'll be back Monday with another peek into my bird card collection and the final group of bloggers for the Tree Bird Blog Hop.
Mary Huey
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment