Monday, April 6, 2015

Antique Rose Star

Have you discovered the Antique Rose Star block?  I give credit to an Australian quiltmaker, Sarah Fielke, for bringing this block to my attention in the book Material Obsession II.  Her "English paper pieced" renderings are so exciting -- I do some EPP but my forte is really machine piecing.
 
 
Happily, just about the time I discovered the block, Marti Michell released two template sets with the shapes needed to rotary cut and machine piece this design -- the Kite and Crown!! 
 
 
A few days ago I stumbled into a wonderful page full of Antique Rose Star blocks on Flickr -- there are over 500 photos shared in a group that was organized a couple years ago.  I'm not sure I can handle that much inspiration!!
https://www.flickr.com/groups/rosestarblockparty/

The students in the first two workshops I taught had the same reaction to their success -- "this is so much easier than I thought it would be!!"  We are often intimidated by blocks that have lots of pieces but this is one of those instances where we should not be!!

Didn't Susan do a wonderful job of fuzzy cutting here pieces?
Actually the most challenging part of making this block for me is choosing the fabrics. It might be because there are so many positioning options.  A student in one workshop decided to cut six kites and six crowns from every fabric she was considering and then play.  What a great strategy!!

Dianne's happy version generated enough pieces for two more stars?!?
I think this is my new favorite workshop to teach -- not only is it a great pattern to introduce quilters to Set-In Piecing Simplified technique but I love it when everyone has a good time and leaves excited about what they are doing.  So there are two more coming up soon. 
 
Friday, May 1, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Cottonpicker's in Chardon, Ohio
Call 440-279-0610 to register and get the supply list.
 
Friday, May 8, 2015 from 9:30 to 3:30 at The Sew'n Place in their new location in Fayetteville, PA
Call 717-352-3050 to register and get the supply list.
 
Don't live near either of those places?  Sorry I would love to meet you but I just posted a special on my website so you can learn this terrific technique for chain piecing through set-in seams -- order my DVD workshop and one of the Kite & Crown sets and I'll give you FREE shipping -- offer good only through 4/15/2015 and USA shipping!
 
Have a pieceful day!
Mary Huey


 
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Love your blocks - the colours are fabulous and the block is too! What's not to love about a hexagon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to your tip, I just added those templates to my Paducah shopping list! Like the POTC blocks, fabric placement makes the impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These blocks are beautiful. If I lived in Ohio, I would be in your class! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Ramona and leaving the nice compliment!!

      Delete
  4. How interesting! Inset seams still frighten me.
    I should try them!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting again and the nice compliment!!

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous block and so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. They are on the way -- let me know what you think!!

      Delete