Monday, October 31, 2016

Edge Finish Options

Since I'm off on a long weekend visit to my favorite grandkids and since my travel work is knitting not stitching, today I'm going to point you back to three posts I've written on edge finishes for quilted pieces that you might find useful during your end of the year finishing sprint! 

This first one walks you step by step through the process I use to turn corners with a continuous binding strip -- I have several tips about alignment that will improve the consistency of your corners.  No matter what else a judge says about a quilt when I enter it into competition, I always get a good compliment on my binding!!

The second post is a tutorial on how I machine stitch a binding both front and back.  I love a binding that has been stitched on the final side by hand, but when I'm making quilts to donate or give to non-stitching friends, this is the process I use.  My friend, Nat in Paris just recommended it to her students the other day saying that she uses it all the time (the post is written in English but translates well into French at least!!).


This is one of my go-to small projects and a great small demo piece I make over and over when teaching my set-in piecing simplified workshops.  It makes a lovely table mat gift that friends appreciate and a great fund-raising auction donation I've discovered.  Finishing that edge looks tricky but with the help of the new fusible batting tapes (I use Marti Michell's brand), it's easy.

I've written a cutting and layout guide for this project -- it's available in my Craftsy Shop!

You might want to bookmark this post for future reference!!

Have a good week!
Mary



2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing these tutorials, Mary. For some reason, the last few quilts I've done have wavy side borders...not the top or bottom. I've been struggling with how to tame them. I will certainly try your zig zag and steam suggestion. Have a wonderful time with your grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I was wanting! There are some quilts I don't want to bind and the third tutorial is perfect for those. My French must be worse than yours because I couldn't get it, so I looked for one from Marti since it's her tape and found it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_guMaCV3us All three are very helpful. Have fun with the DGKs.

    ReplyDelete